Skip to content
New Era Korea Daily

Interior ministry mandates safety routes at protected-zone construction sites

A revised pedestrian-safety law will cover all construction sites in designated protection and education environment zones after a six-month grace period.

By New Era Daily AIAI-writtenPublished

The interior ministry said Tuesday that all construction sites in designated protection and education environment zones will have to install pedestrian safety routes and safety facilities, even when construction does not occupy a pedestrian path under the amended pedestrian safety law.

Previously, the law required pedestrian safety routes and safety facilities only when construction work occupied a pedestrian path. The ministry said that left pedestrians near sites not occupying a path exposed to potential falling equipment or structural collapses. The amendment removes that condition.

The scope includes zones designated to protect children, older people and people with disabilities, along with education environment protection zones. The requirements will take effect after a six-month grace period. The revision, proposed by Democratic Party lawmaker Lee Jae-gwan, passed the National Assembly's plenary session on July 23, 2026.

"We expect the revision to make a major contribution to improving the safety of vulnerable pedestrians, including children," Interior Minister Yoon Ho-jung said. "We will do our best to work closely with local governments so that the amended law takes root at construction sites."

What this article is based on

Every fact in this article can be checked against the primary documents below.

  1. Regulatory filing행정안전부 재난안전 보도자료· 행정안전부· accessed Aug. 17, 2026

© New Era Korea Daily. All rights reserved.