Government halts outdoor senior-job activities amid heat wave
The government has halted outdoor senior-job activities and ordered heat-wave safety measures, with work at 4,006 project groups adjusted as of Aug. 5.
The Ministry of Health and Welfare said Friday that the government had halted all outdoor senior-job activities during the heat wave, directing providers to shift work indoors and enforce safety measures for participants.
Health Minister Jeong Eun-kyeong visited the Hallo Market Second Spring bakery cafe, a community project in Gangdong-gu, Seoul, on Aug. 7 to inspect heat-wave safeguards. The project includes 20 older participants and one youth team leader who make and sell baked goods and beverages and run one-day classes.
As of Aug. 5, activities at 4,006 senior-job project groups involving 357,298 participants had been adjusted because of the heat wave. Public-interest activity projects accounted for 322,738 of those participants, or 90.3%.
The government called for cooling checks, guaranteed breaks and compliance with heat-related illness prevention guidance at indoor sites.
Monthly activity hours can be reduced by agreement from 30 to as few as 15 during a heat wave, and operators can make up the time later by extending operations.
"Above all, the health and safety of older people are the top priority as the heat wave continues," Jeong said. "Local governments and senior-job providers nationwide should strictly follow heat-wave response rules and carefully examine the health of participating older people, and the government will further strengthen its safety management systems so older people can work in safe environments."
What this article is based on
Every fact in this article can be checked against the primary documents below.
- Regulatory filing보건복지부 정부 보도자료· 보건복지부· accessed Aug. 8, 2026
© New Era Korea Daily. All rights reserved.
More in Life & Safety
- Food and drug safety ministry secures Indonesia's halal concessions for K-beauty
- Labor ministry moves to revoke certification over disabled worker rights violations
- Interior ministry launches public-data portal pilot with AI search
- Culture ministry unveils 9,883 travel sites picked by public
- Interior ministry orders emergency response after Geoje downpour