Ministry of Health and Welfare extends senior-center hours
The Ministry of Health and Welfare has designated 6,363 senior centers, extending operations through Sept. 30.
The Ministry of Health and Welfare said on Aug. 5 it had designated 6,363 senior centers, extending their daily hours through Sept. 30 as record heat drove a rise in heat-related illnesses and caused deaths.
The designated centers, selected in cooperation with 16 provinces and cities, will open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekdays, weekends and public holidays.
Of 69,687 senior centers operating nationwide, the selected sites had previously opened on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. They can adjust operations based on local demand, operating conditions and the heat-wave situation.
People aged 65 or older can use the centers to escape the heat whether or not they belong to the Korean Senior Citizens Association.
Hyeon Su-yeop, the ministry's first vice minister, said, "Amid heat-wave conditions close to a disaster, I hope the extended operation of senior centers will enable older people to stay safe and cool. We will do our utmost, in cooperation with local governments, to help older people stay healthy through the summer."
The ministry said it would periodically inspect air-conditioning operations and operating conditions.
What this article is based on
Every fact in this article can be checked against the primary documents below.
- Regulatory filing보건복지부 정부 보도자료· 보건복지부· accessed Aug. 6, 2026
© New Era Korea Daily. All rights reserved.
More in Life & Safety
- Interior ministry launches public-data portal pilot with AI search
- Culture ministry unveils 9,883 travel sites picked by public
- Interior ministry orders emergency response after Geoje downpour
- Culture ministry launches disability sports talent scouting team
- Health ministry to chair APEC health meeting in China